Friday, February 24, 2006

Time to Make the Donuts

Nothing fires up the boy better than a trip to Dunkin Donuts. The sad part is, he doesn't know what he is missing.

New York does a fine bagel. Minnesota cannot hold a candle to it. But New York does not know donuts. Krispy Kreme can suck it, they don't know dick from donuts. Man, there ain't nothing like a maple nut long john and you just can't get them here- and may heaven help you if you did.

At any rate, at least Dunkin Donuts is close and has decent coffee. And Dunkin Donuts has Julio.

Yeah, lately I've been rehashing my "not so greatest hits" in blog posts. I'm practicing avoidance at the moment. I can't afford to get too involved in something as it will only cause friction in the household if I am entertained by something other than Clue Jr. and making paper mice. But this afternoon begins a foray into "Mommy Work Time" for one whole hour. What will I do with myself? I'll probably spend the hour trolling craigslist and posting ads for my coaching services. Perhaps I'll make postcards today. Maybe I'll do some grant research. Really, what can I really do with one hour?

I could have a cannoli eating contest with myself. Maybe I can beat my personal best...one whole cannoli.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lincolnlogger said...

In the heady days before the NorthBridge Mall in AL was ever even conceived, the Skyline Mall was all we had (and it didn't have a Wal-Mart back then).

These were the days when Ben Franklin was still a store, when J.C. Penny's was alive and well, and there was also a grocery store named Piggly Wiggly's (or something similar).

Near one of the entrances to the mall (on the opposite side of Sibley and SWJH) there was a happy little donut shop. I remember going there with my grandpa, and one day he told me I could have ANY donut I wanted. So, I chose the "Texas Size" chocolate frosted donut. My grandpa told me I'd never eat it all. I told him I would.

I was right. I think it may have been the first time (and one of only a few times until age 20 or so) that my grandpa was wrong.

I kind of miss that shop. But in high school, there was the one that was near the High School (and Biog Apple Pizza), that seemed to be our own little hangout for awhile. They had great raspberry-filled donuts. But apparently when we left, they couldn't sustain themselves, and went out of business.

So, now in NJ, Dunkin Donuts is pretty much the only option. Shop Right has some donuts, but they are awful.

Oh well....

10:07 AM  
Blogger Bree O'Connor said...

I hear ya, Brother! Now Skyline is the saddest thing you will ever see since all the anchor stores are gone (Wal-Mart now has a gigantic store out by 35W and has abandonned the lamest mall in history) and not even the Snack Shack remains to give you mini-donuts.

Of course, the Donut Hut is still rockin the donuts, sweet, light and tasty. They have to get rid of their $.75 cappucino though- it's disgusting.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

In some parts of the country, Ben Franklin's still exists.

In some parts of the country, Piggly Wiggly still exists.

Between the two of them you can buy a Fry Daddy and some ingriedients and make your own donuts.

Where you come from, is gone. Where you thought you were goin' to, weren't never there. And where you are ain't no good unless you can get away from it. You understand?

2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter