Friday, February 17, 2006

Writing is Hard, Rewriting is Harder

I wrote this play in 5 days. It wasn't perfect and there was absolutely no censorship along the way so I guess that was why it went so quickly. I let it sit for a while because I've had a lot of much bigger, naggier fish to fry. So, as it stands now, I've totally reworked the first act and it has only taken me three weeks, 47 naps, and maybe 20 cappucinos.

The second act has got to be scrapped completely and rewritten with a whole new plot concept. Just thinking about it makes me want to take a nap. The other scripts I've worked on have not had this affect on me. The other scripts were energizing and had my brain clipping along at 100 mph. I guess this one is a little close to home because it involves a deep questioning of the institution of marriage (no, mine's not going anywhere yet, but that doesn't mean I won't question it) and the value and nature of love and it has a dementing illness as a central circumstance to the plot. Note that this play is not ABOUT dementing illnesses, it is merely a circumstance that drives the questioning throughout the piece. My point is, maybe because these questions and issues are not merely philosophical at this point in my life but of immediate importance is why rewriting has been painful and tiring. It's not as fun to piece this puzzle together as it was to play with adolescent angst, mismatched sexual fantasies, or tango dancing hooligans. So, for now I am going to let the first act stay the way it is and put the second act off for a week or so. Especially since there is no school next week and I doubt I will get anything beyond a shower done all week.

The rest of my day will be spent cheering myself up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter