Wednesday, December 21, 2005

STRIKE! STRIKE! STRIKE!

Let me just start by saying that, at the moment, I am inclined to be soooo pro-union, even though Roger Toussaint is a bit of a whiny little bitch. I do worry that the TWU is fighting this battle poorly and doing so at the ultimate expense of its rank and file, but they have my support. Why? Because the MTA are a bigger bunch of assholes. The management of the transit system has been shady and scummy at best. Shady accounting practices, fare hikes (and more expected in the future!), putting their ridership in danger by leaving unmanned booths- as a woman who enjoys her freedom in the city I thank you for that one- and then just having a bitchy attitude in general.

See, that seems to be the larger issue, from my perspective. Everyone is really acting like a whiny child, "You're not my friend anymore! Stupid head!". Don't we get enough of this behavior from ACTUAL children? Then Bloomberg and Pataki have to join in on the mudslinging, calling the union mean names! Good lord! When can we act like grown ups? Plus, my four year old son knew these talks were going to go badly so why didn't the mayor or the governor step in? They keep saying that they are going to leave the negotiating to the professionals...so far I'm not seeing so much professionalism. Just whiny bitch slapping. They could have acted as the heavies. Their mere presence would have meant "Look, I know you have problems with one another, but this needs to be resolved. Who's your daddy? That'd be me. Now SIT DOWN! You aren't getting any supper until you work this out!" Besides, I have to wonder how a businessman like Bloomberg suddenly has no professional understanding of negotiations?

BUT...

In a way, this strike is a bit of a Christmas present to New York. I know, it sounds totally stupid, but when New Yorkers have hardships like this they always come out swinging and they stick together. Our little neighborhood communities turn into a citywide community with everyone slugging it out together, and most of the time, it's with good humor. I fucking LOVE New York. Come on! This place is weird. I can get squid around the corner. I can find a vegan bakery and a kosher deli right next to each other but I can't find regular black buttons for my jacket. In some ways this place is totally backwoods and survival here is piecemeal. Those of us who live here and can't afford to live here are pretty tough and, when pressed, we get through these things together. We complain and gripe with total strangers in the weirdest places. It's kind of nice to have something to share with my citymates during this holiday season. I may not get to Macy's or to Rockerfeller Center this year, but I've got my New York in all its kvetchy glory!

Thanks MTA and TWU!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter