Friday, December 16, 2005

Christmas is Coming/ the Goose is Getting Fat/ Please Put a Penny in the Old Man's Hat

I've waited and waited and waited, but my Christmas inspiration has not yet arrived. I'm going to back up and try this again, because I can't let the year end without some kind of holiday greeting.

2005 has been a really hard year and I am still laid up with some serious growing pains. Remember that mysterious, painful, stretching, aching feeling that kept you up at night while your parents yelled at you to suck it up and go back to sleep? I've had a year of those. It seems that everyone around me has had them, too. Break ups, divorces, births, illnesses, career changes, new homes, some friendships dissolving while others are growing stronger. I sense that so many I love and care about are so tired this time of year. Myself included. It would be easy to get wrapped up in the frenzy of the season, but what I feel is most needed is a little calm and a little love. So, this is my band-aid, my cup of hot tea and cozy blanket for the season.

I love you. Not because you are perfect or because you do everything so well or even because you do those things for me. I love you because you try and sometimes you fail but you will try again. I love you because you speak your mind even though you know I will argue with you about it. I love you because you chew with your mouth open, laugh too loud, make inappropriate jokes, and sometimes you chuck me on the shoulder a little too hard. I love you because you eat junk food and watch tv, because you still know all your state capitals and can whoop ass at the Trivial Pursuit Genus Edition from 20 years ago but can't tell me what the hell happened this morning. I love you because, regardless of your outward appearance, inside you are soft and vulnerable and need to be loved.

That's what I have for you this year. I have no great, Earth shattering insight or beautiful shiny things to distract you. Nor do I have any real answers or guidence for these difficult times. But I do have love for you. Whether you fit into your favorite jeans or not, whether your house is clean or dirty, whether you are single, married, divorced, or something in between, whether you are conservative or liberal, have kids or hate kids, I don't care. I love you because you are human. You are not loveable only because of the things you do well, but because of your struggle to be better.

Happy Holidays and may you find blessings, peace and plenty in the New Year.

With Much Love,
Bree

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Nice work. We love you, too.

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter