Saturday, June 10, 2006

Of Course We Went To See "Cars"

Why wouldn't we? Even though Pixar did sell its soul to Disney, it is still a rare chance to see craftsmanship in a family film. Say what you will about John Lasseter, he's got some taste. Plus, it has Owen Wilson...even if he is playing a car I can totally wrap myself around those nasal vowel sounds and that squinty, lispy "s" of his. Not literally, of course, I am a married woman. (Mmmmm, Owen Wilson...)

Anyway, it was a tad long, but still a lot of fun. It did not hold a candle to "The Incredibles" or "Finding Nemo" but still a hell of a lot better than "Over the Hedge". Are you kidding me? What a load of tripe they dish out to us these days.

I don't particularly feel like writing a review. If you've got a munchkin and aren't Amish you'll probably being seeing this movie anyway- regardless of the fact that one of the most endearing characters is voiced by Larry the Cable Guy. What I want to talk about is how horribly, stinking weepy I am. It is embarassing. After the movie I had to excuse myself to the restroom to go bawl because there was a tiny little dedication during the credits to an actor who had died last year. Oh no! The guy who was Heimlich the fat caterpiller in "A Bug's Life" died? How sad!

Do you see how tweaked that is? Last night we watched "Toy Story 2" and I had to leave the room to cry because Jessie the Cowgirl had been left in a box on the side of the road because her beloved Emily had grown too old to play with her. There was a freaking song about it. Played me like a freakin' harp. And to think, for a brief moment yesterday, I had considered bringing home "Old Yeller" for movie night. Sullivan probably would have handled it fine but I would have been wrecked.

After a bug squishing incident on the street after school yesterday, Sullivan and his friend got into a big theological argument that threatened to end the friendship. His friend told him that when you die you go up to the sky to be with our "Heavenly Father". Sullivan looked at her like she had sprouted another head and then went on some weird tirade about how the only thing up in the clouds was a giant gorilla (Your guess is as good as mine on that one) and that no one really knows what happens when you die. She then became adamant that there IS a Heavenly Father and that no one knows what he looks like but she knows He is there. Sullivan then threw up his arms and yelled, "I've SEEN Henry's father and I KNOW EXACTLY what he looks like and he doesn't live in the clouds he only lives on the third floor!" I don't know whether to laugh or cry about that one, but we did have to step in to help clear up the misunderstanding in order to repair the friendship.

Loss, loss, loss, loss...these are the things that are bringing me to heaving, ugly sobs these days. Intellectually, I would like Sullivan to have a scientific curiosity of the world around him and faith in people and goodness and all that crap, but not having a God to give him or even an everlasting paradise is really painful for me. I wish my answers were easier to understand, God is in His Heaven, go to the saints for guidance, blah blah yackety schmackety. These were the answers I got when I was little and I don't resent those answers, not one bit. They gave me a starting point. I don't know where he is starting from and I can't give him what I was given because it is no longer a part of the package that is me. I don't believe what I was taught.

Above all, I wish I still had it for myself. I wish I had it to understand why bad things happen. I wish I had it to give me comfort in times of loss. I wish I had it to order my Universe when I don't have the strength to put it in order for myself.

Perhaps I should put my faith in Pixar or perhaps Hiyao Miyazaki.

1 Comments:

Blogger David said...

Bree, this is my favorite post I've read of yours.

Mm.

7:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter