Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Proud Mama

This morning Sullivan's school had a dance recital. They blocked off the street in front of school so that all the students could show off the mad dance skills they've been working on all year. I have to admit that I got sappy and tried really hard to hide my tears behind my sunglasses. I was sappy not just for my son's own performance (Which was really wild! He did this crazy crab walk move and he was so into it!) but for all the kids. When I was in school last week all the buzz was about this big show and you could see them all working so hard to get their moves down. The show was really impressive with a wide range of dance styles and, I have to say, I didn't see much smirking. Even the coolest of the cool boys made a sincere effort to be a part of the event. Some of the cool booys have already figured out that dance is step number 1 to becoming a serious heartbreaker. Granted, the teachers that they worked with did not force lame stuff down their throats. Everything they worked on was pretty hip- even the Chinese ribbon dancing and the Mexican Hat Dance were done in a cool way.

What turned on the waterworks for me was seeing my son get up in front of a large crowd and own himself and his choices and declare himself to the crowd present. He's growing, slowly but surely, into a man.

Despite all the best efforts of the world to suck, my son is doing pretty damn well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter