Friday, June 23, 2006

Awkward

I've always enjoyed words. I like using them, I like looking at them and I like it when the spelling of a word matches the gut reaction to the thing that word represents. My favorite example of this is the word "phlegm". Are you kidding? That is the best spelling of a word EVER! Look at it. If could be spelled so many other ways but that silent "g" really makes the word a piece of representative art. The "g" just makes it phlegmy. Without the "g" it would just be "phlem" and not as intrusive, slimy or disgusting. Definitely, "phlegm" is spelled just like the goopy inconvenience that it is.

And Awkward. Dude, 2 w's. That's genius. Awkward LOOKS awkward. It just doesn't seem quite right. And the sound of it just makes me think of a fat, clumsy web-footed bird that shouldn't walk on land. Awkward. That's an awesome word.

Then there are just some consonant combinations that make me happy. Like in "ladle". The "dl" combination is is quite playful and foreign. (FOREIGN! That's another one! Look how that silent "g" asserts itself in there- trying to fit in, but just can't! That's so foreign!) The "dl" sound is much more fun than "bl" because the "dl" traps this little pop of air behind your tongue and then gently flings it out at the world like so much vichysoise. Oh baby! Ladle ladle ladle!

Well, I've got a little Wasabi face mask burning the hell out of my visage so I'll check you cats later.

4 Comments:

Blogger X said...

Double letter sounds are the trump cards of classic comedy. I still remember trying to keep a straight face, when, shortly after I started dating Joanna (buy her books), she told me about the untimely death of her great-great aunt Betty Venneri from Walla Walla, Washington.

Word Verification: "bamdgmrt"

1:56 PM  
Blogger X said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Lincolnlogger said...

Ladle ladle ladle! You always did like that one. You should make it into a musical.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Bree O'Connor said...

YEAH! A whole evening of poor rhyme schemes!

I wanted to play with a dreidle
You chased me with a ladle
Now there's a baby in the cradle...

Hey, it's as good as anything that's out there!

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter