Saturday, June 17, 2006

The Finer Points Of Masonry

It's in my genes.

If there is something that needs doing around the house I'm so down with the DIY. My fireplace (which is only for show) is such a disaster. The mortar is crumbling and the bricks look like hell. Not to mention the fact that it has become prime nesting ground for the little bastards that have been sucking my blood every night. Yes, the bed bugs are in my fireplace and the spray is just not getting them. So I am learning about tuck pointing and I am going to clean that puppy out and seal the pests in. They'll be sorry they ever got a taste for the likes of me!

Of course, I don't need this project. I've got so many other things I need to do, but every spring I go on a mad nesting/ home improvement craze. A couple of summers ago, I did a mosaic back splash in my kitchen. Too bad the landlord decided to tear the building down. It was pretty cool, if I do say so myself. I had a blast breaking the tiles and arranging them like a giant puzzle. I was considering tiling over the brick fireplace, but repointing would be much cheaper and a tad bit less labor intensive. Either way I need to chisel out the joints so I might as well just keep the brick. I like brick. And its a rental.

I really should have a giant canvas of my own to play with. Imagine the half assed craziness I could get into! Tiling, masonry, carpentry, painting, murals and textured surfaces, cabinets with lazy susans, gardens, paving stones, fences, kooky loft beds and fun nooks and crannies! Oh boy! My home is such a living, breathing extension of my self. I don't live well in a home that doesn't look "me". A couple of apartments ago I had decided to leave the walls white. You may think I am joking, but that was clearly the begining of my depression. I can't live that way. I need color and beautiful life exploding around me.

I also can't live with stinking bed bugs and crumbling mortar. I love my bedroom. It is the most beautiful room I've ever "created". My walls are color washed in a way that looks like faded orange leather. The moldings and ceiling are "apple crisp" and I have this brick fireplace that could be gorgeous except for the fact that it is falling apart. So I guess I will be spending a few choice days chiseling and replacing bricks and billing my landlord while daytime television drones on in the back ground.

Hey, maybe there'll be something fun on the History channel!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter