Monday, April 10, 2006

Uniforms

I guess everyone has their own sort of uniform. The outfit signals to all that you are part of this group, that group, etc. It is funny how we tend to outfit ourselves to belong to any group. After all, you can walk into any high school and make an educated guess about who is friends with whom just by the way they are dressed. But it goes even deeper than that.

All the film guys I know dress the same. I noticed it a few years ago at a party and couldn't help but giggle about it. They all wear the same cargo pants/ shorts (depending on the season) and love those retro- Kramer shirts with a t-shirt underneath. They favor the same shoes and they all own sensible, layered outerwear for the winter. Every last one of them owns at least one fleece. Of course, usually that fleece was swag, but they'll still wear them. A lot of these wardrobe choices have a practical aspect to them, but it is funny how it also slips into leisure wear.

I was at a college campus on Staten Island today and I was definitely not wearing the uniform. Every guy there was wearing something thugtastic and every girl was either wearing a jogging suit with something suggestive printed across her butt or the Staten Island Snug Jean with a tiny little top. As for me, I was wearing a pink, linen shirt (loosely cut for a man) from India that Tom got as swag on a Merchant- Ivory movie he did, and a pair of long, loose, pink linen slacks. A couple of very sweet (thugtastic) boys came over and tried to say something nice about it.

"Wow! You're all...pink..."

Yes indeedy! Which one of these things is not like the others? That would be little ol' me. Oh well. I've always been way out of touch. Why should I start wearing a uniform now?

I just thought it was kind of funny, that's all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter