Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Fruitless Pursuits

I believe in political art. I believe in personal expression, protest and a journey toward peace- whether or not we are capable of ever getting there. However, I find myself frustrated with art that screams but refuses to listen, that rants and raves but refuses to acknowledge another point of view. Most artists that participate in these forms are tortured idealists much like myself. They are terminally disappointed and frequently disillusioned, but as long as they continue to engage in work that is purely an assault the longer they will continue to be disappointed in the lack of change.

It is sad for me to see talented artists railing against the establishment in language that only their fellow artists will understand and appreciate. Outside of their circle they look intense but foolish, even stupid and naive. It is easy to dismiss their talents and the message when they refuse to acknowledge complexities or other points of view. Most people are afraid to challenge themselves, though they will absolutely demand it of others. This is not communication. It is not growth and many artists have fooled themselves into thinking that they have a monopoly on wisdom and righteousness. This arrogance must be done away with if we are to put forth work that matters.

This is not to say an artist should be without opinion. That would be the same as ripping out my own heart with a pair of salad tongs! Rather, the artist should challenge himself (herself) to constantly question what he/ she truly believes. Be right or be wrong, but be aware. Be present in the struggle to understand instead of the struggle to banish, censor and condemn. Perhaps people really desire to hang onto their anger more than they desire solutions. Perhaps they enjoy their martyrdom on the fringes of society. For this, I cannot blame anyone. It is a romantic place to be- but not always necessary.

I am just as guilty as the next person of all these things. But I recognize a need to rid them from my life as an artist. I will always be passionate and opinionated, but must remind myself that there are multiple ways to see any situation and I must struggle to see them all.

And I have to stop flinching every time I refer to myself as an artist.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love this post. It really hits home for me. I know I have been guilty of artisit matrydom in the past. I like to say I'm not like that anymore, but...

Love your whole blog Bree! I'll be reading often.

5:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter