Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Dude, White Men Are Snobs

I've read over the years that minority women in America tend to have a better body image than the average white American woman. Today, I figured out why.

Now, I've discussed in previous posts some of my thoughts on leering. Intellectually, I know I should shun the practice but in reality I like an appreciative glance now and again. Just don't over do it. Right? Right.

So, anyway, I was in Midtown today to have lunch with a friend and since the last few days have been rather warm I decided to dress in a fairly casual manner. I opted for a black mini skirt with a brown wrap around top that nicely accents my cleavage. I'm not a scrawny thing, but I'm no heifer either. I got a nice, long pair of gams and every once in a while I let them out to play. What I noticed was a huge difference in how men of different ethnicities looked at me.

White men all looked right past me, like I didn't exist. A couple of white boys in cool linen pants and gelled up dos gave me grimaces that were unmistakable messages reading "What are you doing on my planet, fat bitch?" Although, there was one notable exception. He was a tourist, that much was clear, and he was a real skinny fella with a blonde mullet wearing a wife beater. I shit you not, my friends. He gave me a big, greedy grin and gave me the ol' up and down look. (A side note, that is kind of oogy- I don't reccommend that approach.)

As much as I felt like a disgusting sasquatch in the eyes of nearly every white man I crossed paths with today I found myself getting a little ego boost from hispanic men and black men. Black men in three piece suits, in active wear and in jeans gave me the ol' eye contact and smile. That's always a nice one. When done with a certain confidence the eye contact/ smile combo always makes me blush and give the coy head tilt down with the look up smile and slight shoulder shrug. It's a very complicated move, but I am often rewarded with a bigger smile in return. The hispanic men gave me the head turns. Oh, nothing makes me feel better than to think that I stopped time with my mere presence. Then I just walk by, knowing that his eyes are trained on that tantilizing spot where the bottom hem of my skirt just skims the back of my thigh. I know you're looking.

None of these men made any advances or approached me in any way. I certainly felt their appreciation and their disapproval. I've come to the conclusion that white men (to make a gross, gross generalization) just have a limited palate for feminie beauty. I think you fellas ought to work on that because you are missing out on one curvy piece of gorgeous over here!

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I think a good number of white men suffer from similar delusions as white women. Products of a culture of constant advertising. Why carry a big black boom box when you can have a sleek little white iPod? Suckers. It only reveals a lack of personal identity on their part.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

the problem with white men is that they don't realize what beautiful women they have. I am hispanic and love the white female..and i try to make my white girlfriend feel desired every chance i get.
on a whole, i think cultural men (non-white) are less worried about showing their sensual and romantic side than white males are. and i've learned for myself that the benefits of being that way far outweigh looking past her...u get to see a whole new woman when u do.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Bree O'Connor said...

Here's something that strikes me in an interesting way...

By the by, thanks Angelo, for chiming in. I think what you said illuminates a bit of my experience. However, the thing that really caught my interest was the use of the phrase "cultural men". There is an implication that white men (or whites in general) are without culture. This is totally fascinating to me. I can't say that I haven't had this viewpoint. But is that true?

When I was 9 I fell in love with Japan on a trip to Epcot Center. The second I got home from that vacation I ran to the library and was determined to learn as much as I could about this beautiful and mysterious place. I begged my mother to make me a kimono and I dreamed of becoming a Geisha. My friend and I disassembled my bed and I made my own bed roll and I slept that way until my parents put an end to that nonsense. As an adult I see that I had felt a lack of shared cultural history and that I was trying desperately to piece one together. Which is odd considering that my mother is a first generation American. But, being Northern Europeans who were eager to assimilate, my grandparents refused to speak Finnish in the house and set forth to become "Americans"- whatever the hell THAT means. Clearly, there are cultural influences on how I see the world, but it is hard to pull them apart from the typical American. Does that mean that I have NO culture except pop culture? Am I destined for blandness?

I'm not sure, but it is clear that (at least in the popular culture) whites and non-whites alike consider whites to be somehow culturally inferior. (a la Homer Simpson quipping "He's right, we're so lame!") Of course, there are notable exceptions to that statement, but I don't really like to acknowledge that part of the population.

At any rate, this is a very interesting conversation. I'll have to ruminate a bit more...

3:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter