Thursday, May 25, 2006

Don't DO That!

Lord knows, I love sailors just as much as the next girl and I look forward to Fleet Week as much as anyone. Who can resist those cute boys in their crackerjacks? But, as much as I love Fleet Week I have a teeny tiny complaint.

When an entire city suffers from post traumatic stress syndrome it is probably ill advised to spend the day BUZZING THE CITY WITH LOW FLYING MILITARY PLANES IN FORMATION! Just don't fucking do that! Scared the fucking crap out of us.

What the hell were they thinking? Just the sound of planes is enough to give plenty of us flashbacks, but then to see planes flying so low is enough to make any of us think "Oh God, not again!". Because we are waiting for it. We know something is going to happen here and it makes no sense to stir us into a false alarm.

Although, I must say, a few years ago when the Tall Ships came into the harbor Tommer and I went to the Promenade to watch the ships. It was pre-9/11 and there was a demonstration of military planes going on. I'll never forget the sight of a Stealth Bomber zooming out from behind the skyscrapers of Manhattan. It was one of the eeriest damn things I'd ever seen. The thing came from out of nowhere! It was, and is, hard to shake the sight of it. It was like a brush with all things dark, unknown and frightening. I wasn't impressed. I was experiencing a primal fear of this triangular black object. And that was when the Towers were still standing.

The summer of 2002 I found myself walking down the street in my neighborhood pushing my son's stroller. As I passed a neighbor a jet flew overhead but was somehow louder than usual. We both stopped in our tracks to see if anything was going to happen. Once the "danger" had passed my neighbor looked at me and said, "We all look up now, don't we?"

Yeah, we do. So don't needlessly frighten us with fancy flying. We can't fucking take it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter