Friday, April 28, 2006

So, What Are You Up To These Days?

Have you ever been in the middle of answering that question only to discover that it was asked only out of politeness but not any sincere interest at all? His eyes glaze over and he starts staring at a spot across the street just past your right ear. He smiles, nods and grunts like a character listening in a Miyazaki film. Of course, the main difference here is that the character in the Miyazaki film is actually listening. He's just scanning the crowd for someone to talk to other than you.

Joke's on you, fucker. My life is actually interesting. I'm not the one selling all my shit and moving to Hoboken. No babe, me and my hot hair (It really is a thing of beauty these days) are staying in Brooklyn while I embark on my most interesting and productive year to date. And don't refer to me as a novelist, dude. That's just flippin' ignorant. Not even close- this year, anyway.

My ego once caused me to spout that "...in ten years, those fuckers will be crawling over broken glass to work with me." This declaration was met with a stunned silence broken only by the sound of two leather chairs responding to the uncomfortable shifting of their occupants. I considered retracting my rather bold statement but then quickly decided to let it reverberate. Letting it float out into the world was the first step toward making it happen.

I've got four years left. You had better buy some fucking knee pads.

1 Comments:

Blogger Lincolnlogger said...

I just want to say that there is absolutely nothing wrong with living in Hoboken. It's quite pleasant, actually. We love it.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter