Tuesday, January 24, 2006

A Little Ketchup for my Size 8 1/2

I can't sleep.

I can't stop thinking about every stupid thing I've ever said.

My embarrassment is keeping me awake.

That and my sciatica.

Aren't I too young to be kept awake by sciatic pain and bitter regret?

Maybe.

Don't get me wrong, this mood will pass and I will be happy go lucky tomorrow- once I come out of the haze of my walking coma caused by lack of sleep. But I do wonder if anyone else stays up late punishing themselves for stupid gaffes the way I do. I would venture a guess that 98% of these stupid things have been forgiven or forgotten long ago. So why do I have these difficult nights?

Once I said that "...in 10 years they'll be crawling over broken glass to work with me." I remember saying it and I remember the shocked stares and uncomfortable silence that followed. I've got about four more years to justify that comment. In high school I told a bulimic who wailed about the injustice of having to watch what she ate that I had to watch what I ate too, only the other way around. See, I have to make sure I'm eating or my thyroid problem would have me waste away. Stupid, stupid, stupid!

Yeah, I really know how to put my foot in my mouth. Chances are, if you've known me for any length of time, I've said something really stupid to you. I have probably said it with conviction, too.

Sorry about that.

2 Comments:

Blogger X said...

I swear I still remember all the stupid shit I've ever said. Hell, some of it was to you. My strategy is to keep on saying stupid shit so at least I don't spend all my time obsessing about crap from the '80s and '90s.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Bree O'Connor said...

I don't remember you saying anything stupid. Of course, I was so self-involved at the time that I probably didn't hear what you said anyway. That's even worse than saying something stupid. I have serious regrets about that. I guess you just can't get through life without being a huge idiot at one time or another. I just wish I was less, well, less consistent!

Oh well, go with what you know.

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter