Wednesday, January 18, 2006

I Can Goof Off 'Cuz I'm My Own Boss

Of course, this doesn't get me any closer to having money in the bank.

I SHOULD be getting info on my liability insurance so I can factor that into my overhead costs for an upcoming project. I'm just so terrified of money. That's probably why I don't have any. If money is the root of all evil, than I am saintly and clean! Wahoo! Heaven awaits! Can I trade in my 72 virgins for an eternal supply of cappucinos and 7 layer cookies?

Yeah. I really don't want to blog about my money issues- or any issues that I have, really. It's a rainy, gloomy day and I want to be happy in spite of all that. I've been thinking a lot about challenging my assumptions of struggle and success. For today, I am going to enjoy struggle and think I am a success. For the whole day. It's going to be fun!

Then I am going to put away the groceries and put the laundry in the dryer. Yup. It is a glamorous life I lead. I sit and think about my place in the universe, I write, make phone calls, network, do laundry and vacuum. That is pretty much what I do every day. Like I said, there isn't much money or prestige in it, but how many other people get to do what I do? I'm pretty lucky. I'm also pretty darn obstinate.

All right, in the interest of brightening up this rainy day I will be listing off some more of my favorite things. If you look under your chairs you will find a whole lot of nothing because I ain't Oprah.

Spanikopita. Oh- and Saganaki! I'm not sure how you spell it, but I sure know how to eat it. Come on, spinach and feta? Flaming cheese? How often does a person get to combine two passions like pyrotechnics and dairy products? These are some of life's great pleasures.

Plastic storage. I love how it stacks and organizes. Makes me feel all space age.

Orange and yellow. My living room has orange and yellow walls. It's like living in candy except it isn't so sticky.

Philip Seymour Hoffman. When he gets a little older he'll be one hot, aging genius. Just like I likes 'em. I have a sick fetish for guys who can't clean themselves up. No matter what he does, if he's being himself, he's always slightly dishevelled. I love that in a man. It means his brain is doing something other than preening and that is something I deeply respect. Not a big fan of the metrosexuals.

Cary Grant. Okay, he is not a mess, but he is not a peacock either. I just love Cary (Archie Leach). How often do you find a handsome, athletic man who is so knock down, drag out funny and does not mind making a complete ass of himself? Which is also something I deeply respect.

The West Wing. I know, I know. But I watch it religiously. I love Allison Janney and the show is actually funny in an NPR kind of way. It was pretty embarassing how hard I laughed this week when CJ said to Will "Did you take an awkward pill this morning?" Yeah- you so had to have been there.

All right, one more thing...

Staying up past any reasonable bedtime because the discussion of art/ politics/ religion/ science/ education/ history/ etc is just too damn good to stop.

All right. Phone calls must be made. Laundry must be finished. Numbers must be crunched.

I'll be back.

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Don't be shy about it. The West Wing is a damn fine show and the awkward pill line was funny as hell.

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter