Wednesday, January 25, 2006

A Kertunkulous Spunk

Yeah, I've been watching the Chuck Jones "Cat in the Hat" lately. Is it wrong that I honestly think "Calculatus Eliminatus" is a ripping good song? Does anyone out there know what I'm talking about?

I'm heading out to look at some theatre spaces today so that I may kick off my series sometime before the sun explodes. I haven't set foot in Manhattan in over a month. It will be good to go for a few hours. Plus I'll get to walk around spaces and inspect them, but really I'll just be standing on stages trying to remember a cherished part of my distant past. I really love to just stand there. If I'm lucky I'll get a run of the lighting system and I'll have the opportunity to feel that blinding light shining on me.

God help me. I'm an actor.

I can't help it. I am hard wired to seek attention. It is something that I battle with daily. I wish I was a more humble and dignified soul, but I'm not. Look at me! I'm ever so special! Yuck. I hate that about myself. I guess the reason I have gone so deeply into the craft is so that I don't have to admit that I like the eyes on me.

Don't get me wrong, whatever the reason for going down that road, craft is very important to me. So much so that I am creating this series to fight for craft in a dying artform. It's my defibrilator to an ailing chest cavity ravaged by plasticity, fake boobs and publicity smiles. Stories are important. I believe that. Stories need good storytellers who give a damn about content.

Actors have always been the scum of the earth. I'm coming to the conclusion that they should still be seen as such. Appreciated for their cunning portrayals of life on this planet and then put away, out of sight, to deal with their own personal demons. Their personal lives should not be trotted out in front of us for comparison becuase that is irrelevant to the story. We don't need to know. It should be put into their work and not into headlines. The creation should be more relevant than the creator.

I have many thoughts on this issue. But I need to go find a space.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter