Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Ignorant Note on the Frey Controversy

Yeah, I read "A Million Little Pieces". I actually found it to be a compelling read. I zoomed through it in a couple of days (I had to take a break while reading about the root canals) and then just let it sit with me. It was highly unbelievable, but not in a bad way. But, a little critical thought should allow the savvy reader to figure it out without Oprah bitch slapping him on national television.

First off, I was very conscious of this "memoir" being written years after the fact. Even the dumbest reader has to wonder how a guy under so much physical and emotional stress could remember so many details years afterward? I couldn't remember the face of the guy who attacked my cab driver and got right up in my face to scream at me five minutes after it had happened. So how is this guy going to remember the exact number of handwritten pages on each topic of his confessional years after he had destroyed them? How is he going to remember the time at which he vomitted? What he ate for breakfast? And he nearly broke his arm patting himself on the back. I can't imagine that professionals would say the sort of things that they were reported to have said to him in the book. Frankly, he comes off as a self-important jackass. Then there is the dramatic crack den rescue scene which read to me as just that: a scene. Even while reading it I thought he had the movie rights in mind. The book has faults that betray its true nature as fiction if you read with a critical mind.

Even so, I enjoyed the read. It was visceral and engaging. It is hard for me to be interested in a story where I don't particularly like the main character, but I will admit, I was interested. Was it the freak show? The vomit? The stomach turning feats of human endurance? Maybe. Does the fact that it is semi-autobiographical fiction detract from it's value as a read? Did I waste my time having read it? Not really. Do I think James Frey is a dick, maybe, but not because of the way he agreed to market his book.

The gist here is that people are up in arms because a guy couldn't sell his book unless he fooled everyone into thinking it was 100% true. If we were slightly more critical I think we could have come to the truth on our own. Really, I think the wagging finger should be at the publisher for feeling the public would not be interested in such a book if it were fiction and to the American readership for proving them right. James Frey wanted to make a living. Did he lie? Yes. Is lying good? No. Are his lies going to result in catastrophic death and annihilation of a culture? Are his lies going to cheat the elderly out of their pensions? Are his lies going to destroy my family? Probably not.

Ah, but then we must bring up the 12 Steps. I've seen the steps be very effective in helping people. I can't judge it. I understand the point he makes in the book and can see his argument against using those steps. Gotcha. Perhaps if I had a closer relationship with the 12 I might feel a bit more defensive, but either way I do not see anything wrong with questioning it. Just like I see nothing wrong with questioning authority, religion, or the fruit stand guy. That's the thing about questions, they have a great way of making things better. They can either help you strengthen your resolve or help you to discover what is not working and change your course. Either way, you win. So, personally, I have no problem with that.

I haven't really been paying attention to the arguments in this case. I've heard them third hand and frankly I don't care. All I know is that I read a book and I walked away with something.

End of story.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter