Friday, September 23, 2005

Weird Guilt

I went out and bought a book of Bible stories for preschoolers today. After much thought and consideration I have decided that a major part of understanding life on this planet has to do with understanding the Big Three religions. My intention is to give Sullivan a base of understanding of the Christian faith. Why? Because it is the one I was raised with. It would be develpmentally disasterous to try and give him the whole package of world religion at the age of four (almost). One thing at a time. As he grows older and gains more experience in and with the world, we will explore other world religions together. I think it will be particularly useful as questions will arise about why people just can't seem to get along. But, I felt like I was betraying a bit of myself by purchasing it.

I'm not an athiest. I am willing to believe in a higher organizational power to the universe, but I don't pretend to know what that power is. Could be God. Could be Math. It could be a giant African Parrot named Ed. I don't know. I am also willing to entertain the idea that this is all just one random, meaningless accident. But, my childlike need for structure and stability clings to order. It just feels better. Besides, whether I am wrong or whether I am right or whether I have only bits and pieces right- it really doesn't change the outcome one bit. I'm still going to die.

When it comes to organized religion I have only two thoughts: The theater of religious ritual is intriguing and sometimes overwhelmingly beautiful and Jesus was pretty cool. Beyond that I find organized religion to be pretty scary. I am frightened of anything that has all the answers but won't let you ask the questions. My need for individuality automatically fights against being linked with any particular group or philosophy. I need my "out", my escape hatch into the realm of ambiguity.

However, I came to these conclusions by being exposed to religious thought in my formative years. I had already formed my value system. How do I help Sullivan form his without a blueprint? So I bought the Bible. (I already have one of my own, a Gideon's stolen from a hotel room the night of my senior prom, how's that for values?) Now down to the nitty gritty. Here's what bothers me most, and this is an honest admission, the artwork sucks.

All these cheesy little Bibles have horrible illustrations. All the heroic figures, like Jesus or Moses, look like they are squeezing their butt cheeks together so hard that it passes for a look of wonder and awe. All the tragic or misguided characters, like Jonah and Cain, look slow and dim witted like a love child of Eyeore and Droopy Dog, without the sense of humor. These illustrations lack imagination and creativity. Do I really want my child exposed to that when we could watch a Miyazaki film, read a Roald Dahl book, or look at great religious icons from a more classical period? Those Christian conservatives don't want to save me! If they did, they'd have better illustrations and do a better job of paraphrasing for children while still keeping the quotables intact. I'm talking style and presentation here!

How disappointing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter