Wednesday, August 16, 2006

I'm Not Listening! La La La!

I've been reading quite a few things on other peoples' blogs that I would normally comment on. I've decided not to.

I'm going to try to not open that can of worms because I will not convince anyone of anything. There will be no epiphanies, no changed minds or hearts so I'm going to try letting it go. This is new to me so you'll bear with me while I resist the urge to shoot my damn fool mouth off. I know that many of you enjoy watching me get all riled up, and others enjoy poking fun at me behind my back. Oh yes, I know you're out there. What's that saying? I may be stupid but I'm not dumb. Damn. Haven't heard that one in a while.

What I WILL discuss is school shopping.

I took the little man out to get new school clothes. It's a yearly ritual that I've been waiting for since the day I found out I was pregnant. I remember how I used to love school shopping with my Mom. We'd always go to some special, far away mall which made the whole endeavor feel more cosmopolitan than getting the latest sweater set from the sale rack at Maurice's or Vanity. Never heard of those stores? Well, you're not alone. Perhaps you've heard of DEB? If you're from extreme southern Minnesota, odds are your crimped up-do was sporting a sateen ho-tastic 80's prom dress from DEB. Hey, that's no judgement. If I hadn't found out that the Salvation Army had a bag sale every Wednesday (Fill up a shopping bag with anything you like, just $5.00 a bag!) I would have tooled around town in a flashy red thing that looked like it escaped from a classic RATT video.

Anyway, like I said, school shopping was always the best. We'd go to Burnsville or to LaCross or Rochester and stock up on the latest mall fads- until I had discovered the bag sale, that is. One year my Mom and I ran into Tammy Faye Baker at Apache Mall in Rochester. Yeah. Those were good times, as was the post shopping trip to Pannekoekken. (Can't quite remember how to spell it) Oh baby!

Now, I wasn't expecting to bond with Sullivan in that way today. He's a boy and he cares little for fashion. Only comfort and function are important. But I was hoping he would appreciate the fact that I wasn't about to do his shopping for him and dress him like my own little Ken Doll. That's about as much as I could hope for. But then, oh the mommy waterworks started to rage.

Why?

Because the very first thing he picked out was this three button brown corduroy jacket with patches on the elbows and a sweet red lining. Then he picked out a short sleeve, skater cut, red plaid shirt, a pair of loose fitting jeans and a navy blue baseball cap (on sale!). He ran to the fitting room to try them on. Well. I just about fell over. It was like looking into the future. He looked so mature, so easy going -almost elastic- and so handsome. Mostly, he just looked like his Dad. I couldn't quite contain myself and I gasped in surprise.

You look so dashing and grown up. You look like your Daddy.

From that moment on, he couldn't stop looking at himself. He insisted on changing into that outfit (with a new brown leather belt) as soon as we got home and just stared at himself in the mirror.

I'm a grown up now. See? I've got a belt.

I couldn't stop looking at him either. Tall, muscular and lean, he stood there like a picture of his future self. It's tantalizing, just staring through this pinhole at the man he may eventually become. I've seen little glimpses of it before, but never so strongly. What was most notable about this episode is that he clearly saw it, too. He talked all through dinner about what things will be like when he's a Dad.

Slow down, buckaroo. It's only Kindergarten.

3 Comments:

Blogger X said...

Yeah, Jake's mechanical pencil post really pissed me off too. Fortunately, I kept my fool mouth shut for once.

11:58 AM  
Blogger Bree O'Connor said...

It's a pity that golden moment had to end.

11:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

My mom always saw me as a little professor. While I did do that stint teaching college, she never imagined I would teach while wearing knee high boots and sporting a mohawk. And she certainly never thought of me as a mechanical pencil thief! But it is one hell of a good pencil.

WV=beebsu

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter