Saturday, May 20, 2006

What I Miss About Acting School

I spent two years in a New York City basement (albeit a huge New York City basement) spending anywhere from 8-15 hours a day being concerned with the tension in my right shoulder, why Paulina puts up with Shamreyev, and why Agnes would murder her newborn child. I kissed people without it threatening my relationship- of course, I always ended up kissing more women than men, but that just added to my appeal. I played with swords and pushed my physical limits with dance and acrobatics. I had the opportunity to play Helena on a Broadway stage. The same stage that was trod by the likes of Al Pacino, George C. Scott, and Philip Seymour Hoffman.

Acting school whoops ass.

How many opportunities do you have in life to spend two straight years figuring yourself out and everything in your life conspires to help you to that end? How many hours a day do you get to check in with yourself emotionally and physically and then endeavor to fix the glitches that you find?

After being out of acting school for 6 years and struggling to keep projects and my family humming I have discovered that I just want to go back to school. I want to make that kind of room in my life again. Only this time, I'm ready to take the lead. I'm no longer the student. I'm ready to set the course and lead. I actually think I am ready.

Of course, tomorrow I will be convinced that I am a fraud and no one should ever listen to a word I say, and maybe that's true. But you should be smart enough to figure out whether you want to follow my pied piper or not.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter