Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A Fiddler's Fart

I've been reading Frank McCourt's new book "Teacher Man" and the phrase "...don't give a fiddler's fart..." features prominently throughout the book. That's an extraordinarily Irish turn of phrase.

As a general rule, I don't find farting funny. I really don't. It makes me horribly embarrassed. I just remember games as a child where the "one who farted" was to be regarded as filthy, an abomination. To fart or shit was a shameful thing. Masturbating? That's totally fine. It's the degredation of having waste products expelled from the body in such a foul smelling manner that bothered me. It's like having your dietary sins displayed for all to see. Perhaps if you ate naught but roses your shit wouldn't stink so bad?

At any rate, that said, the phrase "fiddler's fart" does make me laugh. I suppose it is the socio-economic status of the fiddler that I find amusing. The phrase implies that a fiddler is fairly low on the totem pole which is extra insulting to the person or object that one would not even give a fiddler's fart for.

That's just funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter