Wednesday, October 19, 2005

I Should Be Going Crazy, But I Feel Okay

Last night I ordered about $100 worth of party supplies for Sullivan's birthday. I ordered plates, napkins, cups, etc in addition to the stuff for the goodie bags and pinata. You see, Sullivan said it best on our way to the last birthday party we were invited to:

"If there's not a pinata, it's not a party."

I'm trying really hard not to go nuts. I will not be hiring an entertainer. Although for my own peace of mind I probably should because the job will most likely fall to me. Most of the time when kids get bored or restless I am silently elected entertainer or group leader. But, we've rented the carousel at Prospect Park so perhaps I will be saved from that role by the attraction of going around and around in a circle for two hours.

I'm not trying to do the competitive birthday thing. I only invited every child my son knows because I couldn't bring myself to cut the group down. He is friends with everyone in his class. Plus he misses his preschool friends, as do I. And, believe it or not, renting the carousel was at least $100 cheaper than any other space I could find! So I went with it. I didn't get a big birthday party when I turned 30 (bitter? YES!) so I'm throwing a bash for Sullivan.

I wasn't going to spend a lot on favors or anything, but I got such good deals on pirate stuff from Oriental Trading Company that I couldn't help myself. I ordered mustaches, cardboard pirate hats, eye patches, tattoos, and gummy treats shaped like skull and crossbones. The only thing left to order is the cake. Mmmmm, cake...

The truth is, this party is a nice thing to stress about. It's fun to think about the kids that will be there, eating the food, watching them run and giggle but it is allowing me to hide from my real responsibilities. I'm hiding out in LaLa Land listing all of my favorite pirate phrases and plotting to wear my skull and crossbone pajama pants in public. How nice will it be to have an excuse to dress like a college kid and be comfortable? But I have deadlines to stare down and I keep throwing everything out and starting from scratch. I have two other projects waiting on the back burner until this thing is over and done with. I'm having trouble finding something to dream about. So, I'm constructing the perfect pirate cake in my head because I don't want to face the horror that I may not be able to profitably function as a creative person. What will I do once this party is over and done with? Freak out over Thanksgiving?

Some traps are just too easy to fall into.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter