Wednesday, October 05, 2005

School Holiday Get Yer Groove On

The next two weeks are riddled with odd public school holidays. Today and tomorrow the kids are off for Rosh Hashana. (I'm sure I misspelled that.) Then Monday they are off for Columbus Day. Thursday they have off for Yom Kippur. This really throws a kink into my week. I was just getting used to life with my days free. It was nice. Such irregularity is difficult to deal with. Oh well, that's life.

I took a little Ballroom Dance refresher course this evening, which was lovely. I will be starting Argentine Tango this weekend. All in the name of research, plus I think it will have a side benefit of allowing me to enjoy moving my body again. I'll admit it. I'm a closet dancer. I love to dance. I love dance classes. I pretend that I am a talentless, three footed boob, but I can cut a rug reasonably well. I also forget that when I move well, I don't look so fat. If I try to hide my body under billowy clothes I look so much bigger, but when I strap on the lycra and move so the backs of my thighs can't quite catch up with the front I look pretty good. Plus, I have better posture when I dance. That shaves off a pound or two.

I also forgot just how much I love being in class. When I took Meisner in Minneapolis my teacher would tell me that I always sat through class with the biggest smile on my face. I think I spent two years at Circle smiling my ass off. I love class. I love the kinesthetic learning that happens in an acting or dance class. It tickles me and I can't help but grin from ear to ear. The thought that I could possibly come to an understanding about myself,the universe, or a time step gives me great joy. I need to be in class. I need to teach class.

But not now. Jon Stewart is on in two minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter