Thursday, August 17, 2006

Beer Food Food Beer

I need some beer in the house. I will go out and get some momentarily, along with something chocolate, or maybe something salty. I know I probably shouldn't. I should let this compulsion go because I am neither hungry nor stressed- for once. But what would my evening be without a beer and something I would not let my own child eat?

Although, I did make a killer pesto with kale this evening. Dinner was kale-tastic featuring broiled crostini with the aforementioned pesto, fresh parmesan and tomato paired with whole wheat spaghetti tossed with pesto and some leftover lemon pepper turkey breast. It was light and delightful. Tomorrow I am thinking about making steamed chard rolls with ginger and brown rice. I'm not sure what I would pair that with, though. Or perhaps I will saute the chard and top it with some poached eggs? Actually, the pesto crostini would be a better complement for poached eggs. Would it not? It's just that I've got fucking chard coming out my ass and I have to figure out something to do with it and we already ate all the pesto. Maybe I'll do the gnocchi wrapped in chard again. But do I really want to spend my afternoon making gnocchi? I know. I know I can buy the gnocchi but then I'd have to do something with these potatoes. Maybe roasted potato and chard quiche? Or maybe I could make some savory muffins with the chard and just got to fucking McDonalds because the boy doesn't appreciate my cooking anyway!

I wish we had some asparagus. I'm dying to make this asparagus flan but I'd have to have some uninterupted kitchen time in order to do so. Asparagus flan. Doesn't that just make you curious?

I love food. I love eating. I love eating good food. I love making food. I love it when people love eating the food I make. My theme song is fast becoming Cab Calloway's "Everybody Eats When They Come To My House".

I love it when people come to my house and feel comfortable. I want them to be able to look around them and feel lightened a bit and ready to eat. I love to make them food and have them leave feeling like they've been cared for. I want visitors to my home feel like they have entered a creative, whimsical sanctuary full of warmth and humor and yet somehow still very clean. It doesn't always feel like that, but I try. Most of the time, I try way too hard.

So the question for this evening remains...which beer do I purchase? Do I go dark and heavy (probably not) or super light and crisp (pussy) or somewhere in between?

Or do I just say fuck it and bust out the tequila?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmm.... You've made me very hungry. Can you make me some diner please? And I'll go out and buy you some beer. I'll buy you some Canadian Micro Brewery beer, some lovely amber coloured number, maybe with honey in it... Yum...

10:41 PM  
Blogger Bree O'Connor said...

I've been bought for much, much less!

11:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter