Monday, August 07, 2006

Ahhh! Useless Travel Day!

I have returned to a hazy, sweaty Brooklyn. The humidity is totally out of control and I ooze with every move. After a good nap, I am heading out for an iced latte and maybe a turkey gruyere croissant. Not that I couldn't get one of those in MN (although I haven't experienced as much gruyere love in MN as I have here in Brooklyn) but it's my favorite cheesey, greasy treat on 9th Street. Some things are just site specific.

On a later date, I might find the time to detail adventures with my siblings as we rescued our beloved Mother from one of those nursing homes you should hear about on 60 Minutes. If I rest on it a minute, I might be able to find the humor in a pretty dark and painful situation. Until I find where I dropped my sense of humor, let me just tell you that if someone you love has Alzheimers and needs to be placed in a memory care facility- do your fucking homework early. You do not want to rush picking out a home. Know the day is coming and that it could come at any time. Be prepared for it.

I am sad to say that, odds are, that day will come for many of you. I hope you'll have a great group of people around you like I had my sibs. I swear I don't feel grown up enough to handle this shit and I have no idea if I would have been able to pull off a necessary heist like this on my own. My sibs rock. We were totally like the elder care A-Team. I promise you, it is a pretty good story.

But I am in need of a nap and someone to feed me a good dinner that I did not have to cook. I am going to just shut down for the rest of the day because I am totally drained. Perhaps I will be lucky enough to have a dreamless sleep. Lately I've been having these dreams with painfully obvious imagery. I'm almost insulted that my subconscious did not go through the trouble of coming up with more creative connections. Oh well. If I have to, I will traipse through the wreckage of my childhood home salvaging knick knacks one more time.

And for Pamela's benefit, I will try not to use the word "like" every five seconds. Damn!

4 Comments:

Blogger Scott said...

Yes, being an only child is scary as shit, for exactly those reasons. Petrifying sometimes, really. Not only do I need the support system even more, but I didn't get the training necessary to seek out such a system when I was being spoiled for 18 years.

4:09 PM  
Blogger Bree O'Connor said...

I do count my blessings, not only that I have siblings, but that we survived our upbringing well enough to still like each other once it was over!

As much as I am dreading the thought of going through the early childhood drill all over again, I'm thinking that it would be the greatest possible kindness to our son. He's really not getting the fact that he's not the only person on the planet and that is totally our fault.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Scott said...

Thanks for not taking my comment as a recommendation. You have to do what's right for you and yours. If that's one more, so be it. If it's not, that's nobody's concern but yours.

Point is, thanks for not taking it the wrong way...I almost didn't post it for fear it would be misconstrued...you've got enough going on right now. It was more about resonating your appreciation of your siblings than anything else.

9:46 PM  
Blogger Bree O'Connor said...

You know what? That is just ridiculously nice. Made me smile.

11:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter