Monday, March 06, 2006

Bus Smacking Good

I've got that just hit by a bus feeling. Completely shredded, full of fresh air and my skin still has a bit of an outdoorsy tingle to it. I walked about 5 miles today - which is a bit of a stretch post back injury- and taught a group of 6-12 year olds a bit about how to be an actor.

How I ended up teaching this class is as much crazy happenstance as it is a part of my usual pattern. To make a long story somewhat manageable, let's say this; I answered an ad on craigslist and was prepared to co-teach this class with another woman. She knew these kids already and I was so going to take her lead. For once, I was going to be 2nd banana. Well, the first banana split and two hours before my first class, I inherited this group of kids. I had two hours to come up with a plan.

Things went off really well and I had a wonderful time. But, yet again, I have put myself in a position to do a benign takeover of a group of children. I've said it again and again- I like working with kids but I don't want it to be my career focus! And yet, here I am working with kids again. Why?

BECAUSE ADULTS WON'T FUCKING PAY ME! Why? BECAUSE I HAVE A REPUTATION FOR WORKING WITH KIDS!

Oh well. If I want to make money I have to teach little darlings. I actually adore them. It's just that I don't want to spend a career constantly explaining extreme basics like "This is how you read a script" and "This is a stage". I'd like to dig a little deeper.

All in good time, I suppose. I do enjoy working with kids because the things they have to say are always so surprising. It's just that I don't get the ol' synapses firing as hard when I work with kids and what I am addicted to is the brain explosions. But I also like money and eating and having a roof over my head.

At any rate, I can't look this gift horse in the mouth. It's here for a reason. I'm just not sure what it is right now and I need to ice my back and dial seven numbers for a little sustenance. I am not cooking tonight.

No way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter