Tuesday, September 06, 2005

GO TO SCHOOL!!!

School starts on Thursday.

Since it is pre-K, school begins with a "phase in" process. This means that I will be with him on Thursday and Friday (school is only for one hour on those days) and then he has his first day without me on Monday. However, Monday will not be his first full day- only a half day. His first full day will be on Tuesday. It cannot get here fast enough.

Man, I love that kid, but I have officially overdosed on preschooler. I only have about an hour's worth of "good mommy" per day to spare. The rest of the day I am a sour, frustrated old witch. It doesn't help that I have re-injured my back. He loves me. So, he likes to whack me occassionally. Or jump on me. Or hang on my neck. All of which put undue stress on my already stressed back. His selective hearing chooses to ignore my pleas for gentleness and I have gotten very snippy as of late. Calgon, take him away!

To make things even more confusing, I am also feeling very weepy about the end of this era. Come Thursday his school career will begin and my baby will have other influences. His world will expand to places and cannot control. Did I prepare him well enough?

I know, he still has another fourteen years under my roof and watchful eye, but the end of daily trips to the park weighs heavy on my impatient soul. No more Tuesday play dates with Keelan- his oldest and dearest friend. They've played together for almost two years. Now they are both attending different schools and will have to make time for one another on Saturdays. In my mind there is an obnoxious 80's teen movie style music montage of the two of them playing and snacking together. Mostly snacking. No one told me that there were so many "endings" like this. Either I'm a sentimental old fool (which is a distinct possibility) or I need to congratulate my own mother for handling these little transitions with such grace. Then again, I don't think she was invested THAT way with us. She had a farm girl's perspective about life's inevitabilities. So how did I grow up to be such a sap? And what is this Jekyll and Hyde thing all about?

Poor Sullivan. He must think I am completely off my rocker. One moment I am cheerful Betty Crocker, cooking up more homemade play dough and reading
"Charlotte's Web". The next I am cranky Trailer Mom (minus the cigarette and improperly coiffed hair) waving him out of the way of the television as I ice my back and stuff myself with Cheetos. Don't talk to me while I'm watchin' me stories. Okay, while I'm watching the news, but you get the idea.

Two days left and I am sad to see them go but can't wait for this whole thing to be over all at the same time. I've never been good at this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter