Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Okay, And...

So, Jake has provided some links to models he favors over our current system. (See the comments to my previous post) I get ya. Don't agree, but that's not the point at the moment. The point is how do you propose to get from point A to point B? If you believe in these things strongly, how do you manifest them in our current culture? Although, that does not seem to be a goal. It seems to be a matter of personal choice. If that's true, then why are we even talking about it? It seems ( oh I hate to use this in a derogatory sense, especially considering the guy I'm addressing...) it just seems a masturbatory exercise. Purely intellectual and academic without any practical application- unless you advocate some kind of mass uprising, but that's a whole other kettle of fish.

If you are going to broadcast your views you must expect challenges. If you are going to broadcast your views you must understand that it is an act of encrouchment- no matter how benign the intent. I fully recognize that my views are often an assault and I have reconciled myself with that because I love the discussion. What I don't understand is the bridge between what is happening today and a vision, if not for the country's future, then for your own. I dont get it. I can't make the leap. I do not comprehend how disengaging makes anything better or furthers your personal goals. The truth is, in this system (which you must acknowledge whether you like it or not) there is opportunity. Within form, there is freedom and I don't see how these aims are necessarily incompatable. Far apart for the moment, but not incompatable.

I think X has a valid point about being involved in local elections because you really can make your voice heard- mostly because local elections are largely ignored. Although I do find it silly when I see a sign for a city council woman running on the platform of stopping the war. (Seen it) I think she'd be better off talking about other issues. I don't expect my city council to stop the President. It's kind of quaint for her to try, though.

What I really want to attack is the overwhelming hopelessness and negativity. Just the act of voting is an expression of optimism and what you focus on grows. If you focus on futility and negativity that is all you will ever have. That is what you will create and the cycle does not end. Get me?

4 Comments:

Blogger X said...

Believe it or not, I agree. If voting makes you feel empowered and optimistic, then go nuts. For me, it was usually unpleasant and stressful, and when I did enjoy it, it was for all the wrong reasons.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Bree O'Connor said...

There are wrong reasons to vote? Unpleasant and stressful? Where the hell were you voting? Were they demanding each voter have a colonoscopy? Did you have to take the SATs again? Was there bombing? Were there underserved masses being denied the right to vote picketing outside your polling place and throwing rocks making it impossible for you to pass? Or was it just the lack of a bar?

I know I am being rude and completely flip, but that just sounds like such a pansy ass excuse. So voting hurt your feelings? Really, you're going to have to do better than that.

1:42 PM  
Blogger X said...

If you stop being rude and flip, I'll stop reading your blog, but I digress. To clarify my terms:

"Unpleasant" in that I had to hold my nose to pick a candidate who would either lose, or worse, win and invariably turn into a complete evil-annoying-idiot-fuck who turned around and shat on everything good they supposedly stood for.

"Stressful" in that by endorsing anyone to hold such a seat of power, I was acting in violation of my own conscience.

If I thought I were doing anyone any good by going to the polls, I would.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Bree O'Connor said...

You can't always get what you want, but when you don't that is when you need to hold those representatives accountable for their actions. Why do people become corrupt? Simple. Because they can. We have allowed certain behavior to become acceptable and even EXPECTED because we let things slide. Why? Because we are so separated from each other, from community, from the food chain, etc that we don't allow these grievences their proper weight any longer. AND, I could argue, that if you vote you are not surrendering your power you are exercising it. Are you surrendering your power to be master of your household if you hire a cleaning lady, a babysitter or a dog walker? Hell no. A representative is just that- your employee. You still have to keep on top of them and make sure they are doing the job to your satisfaction, but they are doing the gruntwork for you.

Quit acting like a subordinate and you'll no longer feel like one.

12:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter