Tuesday, November 01, 2005

In Appreciation of Bob

The first time I ventured to listen to Bob Dylan (aside from hearing "Like a Rolling Stone" on the radio) was through a mixed tape. Ahhh, the mixed tape- the favored code of adolescent desire safely cloaked in the vagueries of sharing pop! Well, I have a young man named Brian to thank for handing me over, body and soul, to a poet who has no idea that I even exist. Yet, the fantasies persist.

Bob is yet another name in a curious list of men that could have me without even asking. Not that it would ever come to that. The truth is, in a way, he has already had me. From the moment I first heard "It's Alright Ma (I'm Only Bleeding)" I had found a dusty beauty to cling to for the rest of my life. No amount of polishing will shine him up. You can't make Bob "pretty", but he as honest as he is complex. After all, what could be more true than "...money does not talk it swears..." or "...he that is not busy being born is busy dying..."? I could list snippets of his lyrics all day. There are images and phrases in his lyrics that cut straight through muscle and bone to lacerate my insides and I beg him to do it again and again. Hit replay! Oh God! More! More!

And it is not just sadness or cynicism, but humor- sharp, pointed, absurd humor. "...they asked me for collateral and I pulled down my pants...", "...I said 'you know they refused Jesus too!' and he said 'you're not him'" Words, words, words! I loves me a man who loves his words. I loves me a man who is his own creation and not the product of advertising or focus groups. His fans hated him for going electric and he did it anyway because he was compelled to. This brought us the aforementioned "Like a Rolling Stone" which is so much a part of our rock and roll vernacular that its brilliance is often, sadly, overlooked. I dare you to listen to it and not find yourself somewhere in there, searching for some answers. Although he is just as befuddled as the rest, his command of the language will tease you into thinking he has the key. If you just listen to "Highway 61 Revistited" one more time, you might enter the kingdom of heaven.

"God said to Abraham, 'Kill me a son' Abe said 'Man you must be puttin' me on' God said 'No' Abe said 'What?' God said, 'You can do what you want Abe, but, next time you see me comin' you better run!' Well, Abe said 'God where do you want this killin' done?' God said 'Out on Highway 61!'"

So today, my soundtrack is all Bob all the time. Ooooh, baby!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter