Thursday, September 07, 2006

Beaming

Today was the first full day of school. That's a lot for an almost 5 year old to handle. Most of us rural kids didn't have a full day of school until the first grade. This is my boy's second year at it. It's old hat to this little Brooklynite.

What was especially sweet about today was having the opportunity to hear really nice things about my kid that I didn't have to say myself!

We've got a new principal at our school and she held an informal meet and greet this afternoon. Since today was the first full day I figured that I would shake hands with her and introduce her to my boy with the promise that she would be getting sick of my ass by the end of October. However, as I approached her she greeted Sullivan by name and introduced herself to me. Then she proceeded to tell me about how she had brought a story in to Sullivan's classroom and detailed her personal interaction with my boy.

"He enjoyed the story and was very attentive. He has a keen understanding of storytelling and was able to tell me all kinds of things about the story and even draw his own conclusions! He's a very bright boy, Ms. O'Connor."

Well, of course he is.

Then I ran in to the music teacher that Sullivan has known since his pre-K days. He leaned over to me and said,

"There is only one word to describe your son. A HOOT! Your son is a hoot! He sure has personality!"

If I didn't know better I'd swear you people were going to hit me up for money! Lord knows the fastest way to my heart is through appreciating my kid. So, for today, I am feeling like Mother of the Year. For the next five to ten minutes I am going to bask in the warm glow of parental accomplishment. I've done everything right!

Until, of course, he starts acting like a little shit then I'll blame that on some bum genes we got in the twigs of our family tree. Fuckin' twigs...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter