Wednesday, September 06, 2006

The Fox And The Hound

I don't remember much about this movie. Word is that it was definitely not one of Disney's finest. However, I do remember crying fat, heartbroken tears over the fate of these two friends who loved each other dearly only to discover that, by circumstance of their birth, one must seek to destroy the other.

Okay, okay! I know. There's a fox and a hound. I get it. This is no pointless Hatfield and McCoy situation. Plus I am a little suspicious of foxes since I learned that the chickens we got to know in Vermont ended up in a fox's belly. Even so, the tragedy of the tested friendship weighed heavily upon my young mind.

It makes me uncomfortable today. Especially as I look at this photograph of my boy and one of his closest friends from school. In the picture they are holding onto each other with smiles of pure joy. Through their toothy grins I can hear their favorite chant as I imagine them rocking back and forth with their arms thrown over each other's shoulders. "Double head! Double head!" I've been privvy to some of their deeper conversations and they really understand one another and fully love one another. There should be no problem. I've no real reason to believe that there would be. Except...

My son's friend is Muslim. His mother is a kind and friendly woman with whom I've had some wonderful conversations. I can't help but wonder, however, why there is always an excuse to get out of play dates and why my phone calls and emails are never returned. I will admit that I am woefully ignorant about anything that is beyond a cultural general knowledge and I may be reading into things. I am not worried about his family beyond my offending them. Perhaps my carpet depicting the Dome of the Rock is a bit much? The nudes on my wall? My scantily clad frame?

I'm not suggesting that this family is in any way opposed to anything I am or stand for. I'd have no way of knowing that. After all, we did conspire to get the boys into the same class at school so I must not be so terrible. His mother is a wonderfully attentive and loving person. Her children are equally kind and gracious. It is just that I worry the boys will reach a point in life when their cultural destinies pull them apart. I don't think their families will do anything to discourage their friendship, but the rest of the world might.

Am I blowing things out of proportion to think that way? Or is it possible that the way things are in the world will one day make their friendship improbable? I hope not. It makes my heart swell to see how much they enjoy one another. My son has a lot of friends. A lot of good friends. But this friend is special. They get each other on such a deep level that it makes my heart ache. It would be a tragedy if that were somehow tampered with.

On the other hand, friendships like this have been known to lead to great things. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Web Counter
Web Counter